Five Things to consider when renting a room in Cardiff:
1. Is the landlord or letting agent Rent Smart Wales accredited? you can find out if they are by using the Rent Smart Wales https://www.rentsmart.gov.wales/en/check-register/
2. Does the property require a HMO licence? Generally, a property will need licensing in Cardiff if it is a mandatory licenced HMO (3 storeys or more and 5 or more occupants) or it is located in one of Cardiff’s two additional licensing zones (Cathays & Plasnewydd). You can find about Cardiff HMO Licensing here https://www.srs.wales/Documents/Housing/HMO-Licensing-Guidance-revised-Sept-2020.pdf
3. Does the landlord have planning permission to operate a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) in Cardiff? Since February 2016 its been a legal requirement for a newly created HMO to have planning permission in place. A HMO is a house in multiple occupation rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.
4. Do I have to pay a Letting Fee? Letting fees were banned in Wales from 1st September 2019 however a landlord or their agent can charge a “holding deposit”. A holding deposit can be any amount up to a maximum of the equivalent of one weeks’ rent. The “holding deposit” must be offset against rent or security deposit, if both parties agree to enter into a tenancy, then the deposit must be repaid to the tenant within seven calendar days of that agreement. More information about the tenant fee ban can be found here https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2019-08/letting-fees-guidance-for-landlords-and-letting-agents.pdf
5. Do I have to pay a security deposit or bond? Many landlords and Cardiff Letting Agents require tenants to pay security or “tenancy” deposit. This is maybe equivalent to one months rent but is not limited to it. If you are required to pay a security deposit or bond it must be deposited in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) within 30 days of payment and proof of deposit supplied by the landlord or the letting agent.
If you a are looking for a legally compliant room to rent in Cardiff please register using the form below: